Friday, September 16, 2011

Time

My week has literally flown by.  I got a jury summons for the second time in two months.  Unlike last time, the case did not settle before I had to appear.  So I appeared, sat through 8 hours of jury selection and was chosen.  I still can't believe I was chosen, but I was.  Here I am one week into trial and it is one of the most interesting things I have ever done.

To be honest, I didn't try too hard to get out of it (I'm not too sure how much good it would have done if I had tried).  The judge basically told us that unless we had some life threatening issue, not to bother him with lame excuses.  So, even though they knew I had an MBA student for a husband, a 15 month old child,  that I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant, and had a plane ticket to Arizona the following Friday, I was still chosen.  They must have really liked me.  

I HATE leaving Sophie everyday and she hates it too (although I'm pretty sure she has had the time of her life...she's been having 8 hour play dates everyday with her cousin and some other friends).  I feel like I am experiencing what it would be like to be a full time working mom.  It is HARD.  I come home completely exhausted, only to spend the next several hours working again to take care of my family.  (Exhausted....I can see some of you rolling your eyes because all I do is sit and listen.  I know!  It must be because my brain is working harder than it has in, I don't know, over a year).   I knew I was extremely lucky being able to stay home with my baby everyday, but now I really KNOW I am lucky.  I don't know if I could do this everyday and be a happy functioning momma.  Three + weeks of this won't kill me though and it's not even full time because it's actually only 3 days a week so I really shouldn't complain at all.  And I get to see her for an hour at lunch.   Just enough time to get her fed and off to another babysitter.

I couldn't make it through this week without my amazing sister (who spent 8 hours on Monday with 3 children in my tiny apartment) and my other sister (who babysat between a full load of classes as a grad student) and some amazing friends that have played with Sophie for hours upon hours this week.  I am so grateful to have amazing people in my life.  Hurray for next week when Rob's mom gets to watch her!  I'm so so so glad she offered to come and help.

When it's over in two weeks I'll tell you all about it.  Until then, you'll have to let your curiosity run wild with thoughts on what kind of case could possibly be taking this long.

A few Friday links for you....

I am making these finger paints this weekend with Sophie.

I want boots like this, but I'm skeptical that buying cheap ones will only end in sadness on my part.  I'd much rather buy these ones....but I know that will NEVER happen in the near future.  Anyone had success with buying online boots or seen similar boots that will not die on me after 2 days of wearing them?

I am dying to learn to crochet so I can make something like this for me and this for Sophie.  

I'm making these pancakes for breakfast tomorrow.  Want to come?  Yeah....I thought so.  

Happy Weekend.  I will be enjoying my 'time off'.


4 comments:

Jessie said...

So cool! I got summoned for jury duty in Tucson but I wasn't selected :( I can't wait to hear about the case!

Steff said...

I HATE THAT YOU CANT TELL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!!! I NEED TO KNOW!!!

Cant wait to come watch Soph again... this time I'm gonna borrow a double stroller so I don't want to gouge my eyes out trying to get to the park (my son is such a Prima donna)!

Anywho... I always thought Lolo was the one with the shoe fetish, but I guess it's really you! And man, you've got expensive taste. When Rob starts making the big bucks can I have your hand-me-downs? I guess that means I've got expensive taste too. :-)

The Joneses said...

wow hope the case isn't too intense. It sounds really stressful, but kind of awesome. Just so you know, the jury can choose not guilty even if all the facts say someone is...I mean if you think the sentence is unjust or something. Landon has been telling me all this lawyer stuff lately...sorry.

Anyway, I love that fingerpaint! It looks so fun...and good luck with the jury duty!

Wynn Family said...

OK I'm so jealous... beyond control! Wish I could be there to watch Sophia...
Car accident left us with one car to share between 3 drivers, a neck I can't turn from side to side, drunk driver's car insurance that won't help us! and Jury duty possibly next Tuesday. OK so I'm compaining I want to see my grandchildren :)