Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cell Phones, Keys, and Remote Controlls

I'm the first to admit that Sophie crawls around in the grass and dirt, has put rocks and newspaper in her mouth, has eaten cheerios off of the floor at church, and even (once) licked dust from her fingers that she got from our book shelves (we've since rectified that problem).  I mean seriously people, she has already broken her leg for heaven's sake (before her first birthday, might I add).  I'm obviously not a perfect parent. I don't even claim to be a very good one (although I do try).  BUT, there are certain things I won't let her do.  So, Don't be hurt/offended when I hand you back your car keys or cell phone after you've kindly given them to her to play with.  Even if you "don't mind" her playing with them, I do.  

Here's why:

Clears throat, steps onto soapbox.

Case #1:  I have been a long time believer in making a distinction between toys and non-toys for my babies.  I don't let Sophie play with our cell phones, keys, or remote controls (just to name the big ones) and I don't want her to get confused when others let her play with theirs.  It sends mixed messages and I like to keep things consistent.  Plus, I don't want to be the "bad guy" that doesn't let her when everyone else does.  I'm already the "bad guy" in most other situations.  

Case #2:  If your child has ever had a public meltdown, you can relate to this next one.  When she was younger, I didn't care as much and let her play with my keys and cell phone to keep her from being upset in the grocery store or running errands.  It works out great until you need the keys to get in the car or until someone calls you on your cell phone.  That's when all heck breaks loose and you are left with a screaming child in the middle of the produce section of the grocery store.  Evil eye's and bad mommy stares ensue from all those witnessing the event and you soon become the parent with the spoiled screaming child.  Not fun.    

Case #3:  Cell phones are sooooo dirty.  I don't care who you are.  No one I know cleans their cell phone as much as they clean their toilet.  AND we all know the first thing a baby does when they pick anything up is put it straight in their mouths.  She may have built up immunities to some of my germs, but probably not yours, so please....don't share.  Here's an interesting article if you don't believe me.  Remotes and keys are no exception.  They never get cleaned and are always being used by dirty hands.

Case #4:   I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me, "But she WANTS it!" referring to keys, cell phones, remote controls (this may have been Rob, but I didn't tell you that).  Ummmm...ok???  She also wants to play with the knives on our kitchen counter, touch our hot stove, and plummet down the stairs face first.  We don't let her do those things either.  Kids want all kinds of things they shouldn't have.  It doesn't mean we need to let them have it.

***If you don't care about my reasons above (because they sound ridiculous), at least care about this next one:

Case #5:  A common rebuttal when I ask people not to let Sophie play with these things is, "It's not going to kill her."  Well, if you don't believe in bacteria/bad germs, than maybe you will believe in this;  TV remotes, remote car keys, and many other non-toys have small button bateries inside that look like this:


It may look pretty harmless, but can actually be fatal if swallowed.  A really good friend of mine recently had a very personal experience with this.  Her son was playing with a tv remote, got ahold of the battery inside and swallowed it.  The chemical burns that resulted from this almost killed him.  Here's the story if you want to know more.  

Steps off of soap box.

So yeah, it's important to me.   I've had a million people roll their eyes and tell me, 'just wait till you have more kids, you won't care as much then'.  I'm hoping that by developing these habits early that I will be able to continue them when I'm more tired and more stressed with more kids.  A girl can try, right?  Sure, there are things I said I wouldn't do that I've relaxed on; like not letting her have sweets, white flour, high fructose corn syrup (she's had a gold fish or two), or drink juice (2 days of the flu and no caloric intake made me rethink the juice).  Thats just to name a few, but I promise you this one is different.  


I love this little girl.  I'd be heartbroken if anything ever happened to her.  Blueberry/avocado grouch face and all.





8 comments:

Andrea said...

I've never even thought about letting kids play with these things, but now I have an opinion. My future kids thank you.

Jacob and Erin said...

i totally agree ellie!!! I don't let my kids play with phones or anything like that... it goes straight in their mouth! :)

The Wochnick Family said...

I think you are great mom for protecting you daughter. I agree 100%, certain items are off limits and if others do like it, tough.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Our dtr isn't allowed to play with these things either. I don't want her calling China or getting a ppv movie from randomly pushing buttons. I get looks and eye rolls too, but my child my rules. There are other rules some of my friends have, I may not agree but don't comment (like letting your 2yr old stay up until 12). Anyway good for you for doing what you think is best. So many moms shy away when confronted or judged.

laura said...

i love soap boxes :) and i totally agree.

what is it with kids loving cell phones, keys and remote controls?? that being said...it could be worse. noah had a dead beetle in his mouth today :( long/gross story, tell you later...

xo.

Katie said...

Ellie, I think you should get with the times and just buy Sophie her own Iphone...no lithium batteries, and you can just teach her to clean it with baby wipes...problem solved.

Ellie said...

Hahahaha..if it were up to Rob, that would probably be happening.

Katie said...

It probably would. He could find a baby proof, anti bacterial, Liverpool cover.